I am the Labour Councillor on Dublin City Council for the Beaumount/Donaghmede local election area. This area includes Kilmore, Clonshaugh, Darndale, Priorswood, Coolock, Ayrfield, Edenmore, Donaghmede, Belmayne, Clongriffin, Kilbarrack, Harmonstown, as well as parts of Raheny, Beaumont and Artane.
I was elected in May 2014 and have been living in my local area for almost 20 years. I’m a former primary teacher and work as a full time trade union official with the Irish National Teachers’ Organisation.
I believe in actively participating in and contributing positively to local community and national issues – walking the walk rather than just talking the talk. I didn't grow up in a family steeped in politics but I've always been drawn to social and economic issues. I joined the Labour Party when in the mid 2000s when I realised I had to do something other than shout at the radio when the 'state of the country' was being discussed. The Labour Party reflects my underpinning philosophy of social and economic equality and fairness, where all citizens’ rights are respected. However, with rights come responsibility, a responsibility to ensure that we do our utmost to uphold these rights, hence my involvement in trade unionism and politics.
My activism first began as a teacher in Our Lady Immaculate SNS where, through the INTO, I advocated for better, more targeted resources and services to DEIS schools. Since then, I’ve engaged with campaigns and fora that promote a better fairer way, a way that supports all citizens socially and economically and that seeks the realisation of the right of every single individual to live with dignity and realise his/her full potential.
Politically, I have seen that the Labour Party is a progressive advocate for communities putting the people who live and work in them are put at the centre of decision making. I want to support and build on this work as a Dublin City Councillor
My priorities for our community include making every effort to see that:
- Housing supply and quality to meet current needs
- Our communities are clean and safe
- Our common green areas are well maintained and attractive
- More local recreational and sports facilities are provided in areas of need
- Transport and traffic management serve our everyday needs
- Local businesses are supported and employment opportunities created
At a national level, I continuously advocate for
- quality public services, particularly education and community childcare
- decent working terms conditions and wages for all workers
- greater income equality where everyone contributes to our society proportionate to his/her financial ability
Find out more
- Dublin : Dublin Bay North : Beaumont Donaghmede
- 086 6015154