Senator Jimmy Harte Enterprise, Jobs & Innovation
Jimmy is a much respected figure in Donegal and comes from a family with a long history of service to the people of that county.
He has served the people in his local area for many years, having been first elected to Letterkenny Town Council in 1994 and subsequently to Donegal County Council, where he was chairperson of the Letterkenny-Milford electoral area and He is also served as Deputy Mayor of Letterkenny town. During his time on the local authority, Jimmy had been involved in many key developments and projects which have considerably benefited Letterkenny and the surrounding areas.
An insurance broker by trade, Jimmy is vocal on planning, development, housing and environmental issues, while his experience as a father of four children means he has first-hand knowledge of dealing with the education system. Married to Mary (nee Galligan) they live in Sylvan Park in Letterkenny. In 1980, he graduated with a BA in Psychology from University College Dublin. He set up his own business, Harte Insurances, at the age of 24 which is still in operation today. A keen sportsman, Jimmy has run 12 marathons in recent years and has raised over €30,000 for charities in the process, including MS Ireland, Autism Donegal, Aware, Grow, Spina Bifida Ireland and Children in Crossfire. He is a former Chairman of Finn Harps FC and also played inter-county soccer and GAA in his younger years.
Jimmy has a good track record of delivering for the local area but there is much more he would like to do. His priorities include
- delivering of the planned Bonagee Relief Road in Letterkenny;
- ensure the completion of unfinished housing estates in the local area;
- tackling anti-social behaviour in the local area by improving Garda resources;
- the creation and maintenance of jobs for the local area through the Labour Party’s proposed jobs fund and strategic investment bank proposals;
- the introduction of a comprehensive universal healthcare system to ensure equal access to health services based on medical need;
- harnessing the tourism potential of Donegal to return vibrancy to the sector;
- developing a bike scheme for Letterkenny to promote tourism;
Jimmy’s experience and track record demonstrate that he is dedicated to delivering for the people of Letterkenny and the surrounding areas. If you wish to contact him, please do so on the contact number or email address provided.