IAN MCGAHON - YOUR BRAY AREA REPRESENTATIVE
Bray, Enniskerry, Kilmacanague
A native of Bray, I have seen our area flourish and also at times struggle. We are a fantastic community with many great assets and amenities. I am passionate about our local community and passionate about social justice. When I was asked to work for the local community as an Area Rep, I immediately knew I wanted to contribute the best that I can to our local area.
I currently work locally in Sunbeam House Services supporting people with intellectual disabilities. I have always been an active member of our community in Bray and the wider community, working and volunteering on the many causes that are important to me.
My Priorities for the local area of Bray, Enniskerry and Kilmacanogue are:
- Working to address the housing crisis locally in Bray, Enniskerry and Kilmacanogue
- Maintaining and enhancing our public services e.g. campaigning against introducing staffless libraries, campaigning against any further public transport cuts
- Ensuring the most vulnerable in our communities such as poor people, travellers, older people and people with disabilities genuinely have their voices heard in local democratic fora
- Campaigning to introduce democratic participative budgeting into Bray Municipal District and into Wicklow County Council
I have a strong record of getting things done, campaigning and successful representation. This includes:
- Supported the service users in Sunbeam House in various campaigns including improved buildings access and a local Bus Shelter in Bray
- Campaigned locally in County Wicklow and nationally on the Marriage Equality referendum. I ran the Yes Equality Campaign in Co Wicklow
- Presently campaigning to highlight the issue of Staffless Libraries County Wicklow
- I successfully represented people in employment/social welfare areas; redundancy, social welfare appeals as an Information Officer with Wicklow Trade Union Centre for the Unemployed in Bray
- I represented students in National College of Ireland and IT Sligo. My work successfully influenced change in IT Sligo Disability Policy
I am involved in various local organisations. I am a member of Bray Toastmasters, I am a member of the board of Bray Travellers Community Development Group, I ran the Yes Equality Wicklow Campaign, I am also an active member of IMPACT Trade Union. In the past I have also volunteered with Bray Tidy Towns and Bray Coastcare. I also volunteer nationally with several LGBT and Human rights groups.
Ian's Contact Details vCard
Ian McGahon The Labour Party
- Home Address
- 12 Wellington Court
- Novara Avenue, Bray
- Co Wicklow
- 086 3848 509
- [email protected]