Joan is currently .
- Elected to Dublin County Council in 1991.
- Member of Dail Eireann 1992-1997.
- Minister of State for Social Welfare 1992-1994.
- Minister of State for Justice 1995-1997.
- Minister for Overseas Development 1995-1997.
- Elected to Fingal County Council 1999 for Castleknock area
- Elected Labour TD for Dublin West in May 2002.
- Re-elected as Labour TD for Dublin West in May 2007.
- Elected Deputy Leader of the Labour Party Oct 2007.
- Re-Elected to the Dail, Feb.2011
- Appointed Minister for Social Protection, March 2011
- Elected Leader of the Labour Party, July 2014
- Elected to the 32nd Dáil, Feb.2016
- TD for Dublin West
- Former lecturer at DIT
- Member, Dáil Committee on Arrangements for Budgetary Scrutiny June 2016- present
- Member Joint Committee on Education and Skills, June 2016- present
- Member, Joint Committee on Finance and the Public Service 2002 - 2007
- Member of Dail Committee of Public Accounts 2002 - 2007
- Chair of Steering Committeee of Blanchardstown Women's Refuge
- Board Member of Centre for Independent Living campaigning for Transport rights of wheelchair users.
- Member of DIT Strategy Working Party
- Hon Secretary Irish Anti-Apartheid Movement 1979-83.
- Joan was voted by political journalists as the Magill TD of the Year 2007 and 2008 in recognition of her successful years in politics
- Joan was the 1st person to be elected to the 31st Dáil and secured 22.5% of 1st preference votes
- Married to Pat Carroll. They have one daughter Aoife Carroll,a TCD graduate
- Born 1949
- St Joseph Sisters of Charity Secondary School
- Commerce Graduate of UCD. Fellow of Institute of Chartered Accountants.
- Former Lecturer at University of Dar Es Salaam,Tanzania
Joan BurtonThe Labour PartySpokesperson on Finance, Public Expenditure and Reform, and the Arts
- Work Address:
- Leinster House
- Dublin 2
- [email protected] (Constituency Office)