I have always been involved in my local area so this was probably the starting point for my interest in politics, particularly at a local level. .Some of the committees that I was involved in over the years included two hall committees, a youth club, badminton club and a tennis club. More recently I became involved in the local GAA committee, Credit Union Promotion and Development Committee and our local Community Council. Engagement at community level coupled with my father’s involvement with the local Labour Party prompted me taking an interest in politics and to join the party.
During my early days, I was involved in canvassing for our then Waterford TD Brian O'Shea and for Ciara Conway TD. This increased my interest as I gained an insight into how as a local councillor one could help in some small way the plight of people and how you could have a positive effect on your local area as a whole.
I first ran for election in 2004 and even though I was unsuccessful, I received a very creditable vote, which set the foundation for my second successful attempt in the 2009 election.
My main aims as a local councillor include
- Seeking the upgrading and ongoing maintenance of our county roads and the ongoing programme of improving our water and sewage schemes;
- Promoting walking and cycling routes and other social and cultural activities to improve the quality of life for people in West Waterford;
- Support funding for local enterprise and Community groups to assist indigenous industry to help existing and future employment opportunities.
- Promoting and prioritising social and recreational facilities for young people;
- Promoting the inclusion of the elderly in our community and encouraging the disabled to get involved locally in courses to help improve their standard of living and enhance their involvement within society.
I am currently working very closely with the local committees in relation to Connect Ireland jobs initiative.This is in the early stages but we are working hard trying to make connections and hopefully bring some employment to the area or at least to Waterford.
If you have any issues that you would like to raise, please feel free to contact me.