Abolishing USC for the low and middle income earners who need it most
As the economy continues to recover, we will reduce the tax burden for those on low and middle incomes, and create an equal tax system regardless of whether you are employed or self-employed.
Labour in Government has already removed half a million taxpayers from the USC net and taken steps to ensure we are not over-reliant on any one source of revenue.
Our plan for the next five years:
- Abolish USC on the first €72,000 of an individual’s income and increase marginal relief on PRSI for people earning up to €704 per week
- Limit tax relief on high incomes to ensure those lucky enough to be on such salaries continue to make the same contribution to the tax net
- Prioritise tax relief to low-income workers between €18,000 and €36,000
- Support significant investment in public services rather than tax cuts for high earners
- Provide for equal tax treatment for the self-employed