Ensure that eliminating child poverty is at the heart of Government policy
There can be no greater priority than protecting our children. No child should ever go hungry or cold – we are determined to eradicate child poverty.
Labour in Government has funded the introduction of Area-Based Childcare (ABC) programmes in areas of concentrated disadvantage such as Finglas, Limerick and Ballyfermot.
Our plan for the next five years:
- Provide the 1,500 poorest schools with extra staffing and funding to tackle educational disadvantage
- Establish an new National Action Plan for Social Inclusion and an End Child Poverty Commission to halve child poverty by 2021
- Continue to expand the School Meals Programme so that no child goes hungry at school
- Increase the school leaving age to 17 and increase funding to School Completion Programmes
- Continue to implement early intervention initiatives like youngballymun, aimed at children and families in disadvantaged communities
- Increase Child Benefit by €15 a month by 2021