Security and independent living for older people and carers
A society that cares about families must also care for older people. We need to better help older people to lead independent lives.
Labour in Government has protected vital supports for older people including the State Pension, Free Travel Pass, Living Alone Allowance and free TV licence. We have also published the National Carer’s Strategy and protected a range of income supports to underpin this strategy. We have further committed €535 million to rennovate our Community Nursing Units to HIQA standards.
Our plan for the next five years:
- Ensure a 50% increase in the number of home-help hours by 2021
- Follow a “home first” policy approach to provide adequate supports and services to help older people who wish to stay in their own homes for as long as possible
- Launch a new ‘re-ablement’ scheme to support older people who have been hospitalised return to living ordinary lives
- Continue to engage with the vital work done by carers and work with their representatives to ensure supports for caring work increase
- Increase the State pension to €260 per week by 2021