Protecting our cultural heritage and more than doubling funding for the Arts
Labour believes that arts and culture are an intrinsic part of society. We need to treasure our cultural past, while also supporting the artists of today.
Labour in Government has increased the income exemption threshold for artists from €40,000 to €50,000 and introduced a new integrated languages curriculum so our youngest children now learn English and Irish together.
Our plan for the next five years:
- Invest €150m in the arts and culture, including doubling funding for the Arts Council and the Irish Film Board
- Create an Arts Capital Fund similar to the existing Sports Capital Fund
- Introduce a new Irish Culture and Heritage course for the Junior Cycle
- Ensure that parents have greater access to schools that allow for education through Irish
- Promote the establishment of new Gaelcholáistí
- Continue to protect and develop the Gaeltacht