Strong supports to prormote fairness and independent living
People with a disability must be enabled and equipped to live independent, secure and fulfilling lives. Labour recognises that most people with disabilities want to live ordinary lives in ordinary places.
Labour in Government has increased spending on special education and introduced the first system of supports for pre-school children with disabilities and special needs.
Our plan for the next five years:
- Sign the UN Convention on the Rights of Persons with Disabilities into law within the first year of Government.
- Continue to fund and implement the Comprehensive Employment Strategy for People with Disabilities
- Immediately allocate 10% of funding of disability service providers to independent living initiatives, and increase this funding by 10% each year
- Move towards a system of individualised budgeting for care services, granting power to individuals over the services provided
- Improve educational supports for children with disabilities and special needs by expanding the number of educational psychologists in our schools