A safer, more just community in which to grow up and grow old
Our society must promote justice and fairness at all levels. The structures that underpin our justice system require ongoing review and reform.
Labour in Government established the independent civilian Garda Authority; perhaps the most significant reform in the history of an Garda Síochána.
Our plan for the next five years:
- Recruit 3,500 new Gardaí and release an additional 1,000 Gardaí from frontline duty to ensure priorty is on community policing
- Support and resource the new Garda Authority to deliver a transformation in the oversight of policing performance in the State
- Establish a Garda Serious and Organised Crime Unit to tackle organised crime, cybercrime, serious fraud and suspicious financial transactions
- Support victims of sexual and domestic violence and ensure a more compassionate overall approach to the victims of crime
- Bring in greater consistency in sentencing
- Reduce the number of short prison sentences for minor crimes in favour of Community Service Orders