Delivering a strong, safe and thriving rural community
It is essential the next Government focuses on creating a stronger rural economy.
Labour in Government has led on implementing the recommendations of the CEDRA report and the establishment of the Rural Economic Development Zones.
Our plan for the next five years:
- Ensure we develop Ireland’s great potential as a high-quality food production hub
- Support small famers to keep their farms viable
- Continue to support and grow the tourism industry in rural Ireland
- Invest in a regional development strategy aimed at linking rural areas with key growth centres
- Establish a new GP rural scheme to ensure appropriate coverage for patients in rural areas
- Fund Community Futures Initiatives that support rural communities to directly improve local infrastructure and amenities
- Maintain a viable nationwide post office network
- Deliver higher-visibility policing and improved traceability of sale of second-hand goods to better tackle rural crime