Creating a healthier society and emphasising prevention
The World Health Organisation predicts that Ireland will be the most obese country in Europe by 2030 if urgent action is not taken.
Labour in Government has increased the number of primary schools with Active Schools Flags to over 600.
Our plan for the next five years:
- Roll out free GP care and preventative checks to the entire population
- Introduce a tax on sugar sweetened drinks to fund health awareness programmes for children
- Double the number of schools under the Active Flag programme
- Set up health awareness programmes to pre-school and school-age children on nutrition, alcohol and dental hygiene
- Establish child and infant clinics to become a one-stop-shop for families
- Introduce front-of-pack traffic light labelling on all food and drink products