High-quality apprenticeships, training and opportunities to up-skill
The key to reaching full employment is to invest in people: in those who will be the workers of the future, those struggling to find work, and those currently in work who want to up-skill.
Labour in Government has reformed further education and training by establishing SOLAS, the Education and Training Boards, and the Apprenticeship Council.
Our plan for the next five years:
- Roll out 50,000 new apprenticeships and traineeships
- Develop an additional 60 apprenticeship types
- Introduce 100,000 new places in free part-time third-level education
- Put in place a new student support fund for those seeking postgraduate qualifications
- Reduce the third level student contribution charge to €2,500 per year and increase funding to higher education institutes by €100 million
- Phase out JobBridge and Gateway
- Increase the number of places on JobsPlus by 10,000 to help the long-term unemployed