Improving supply, protecting renters and making it easier to buy
Labour is committed to the delivery of affordable homes for families, building up a properly regulated long-term rental market and investing in social housing.
In Government, Labour has launched a €4 billion housing programme to deliver 110,000 social housing units by 2020.
Our plan for the next five years:
- Provide €500 million for the development of affordable rental housing with rents 20% or more below market levels
- Establish a ‘Save to Buy’ scheme to make saving for a deposit easier for those aspiring to own their own home
- Build up a stable and secure long-term rental market
- Introduce a deposit protection scheme and extend the maximum lease period for tenants
- Ensure we build balanced communities with a mix of private, rental and social housing
- Set up a new Land Development Agency to ensure long-term housing demand is matched by available space
- Better cater to the housing needs of our student population