Reforming politics for a more effective, accountable democracy
Labour has always believed that openness and accountability are at the heart of good governance and effective public service management.
Labour in Government has severed the link between big money and politics, passed laws to protect whisteblowers and regulate lobbying, and greatly improved Freedom of Information legislation.
Our plan for the next five years:
- Make all Government data open and transparent
- Introduce a free and secure Digital Portal for every citizen and business
- Create an independent Electoral and Public Offices Commission
- Allow 16 year olds to vote in local elections and European Elections
- Further empower the Ombudsman through an extended remit
- Allow the people of Dublin to decide whether they want a directly elected Mayor and establish a new layer of local democracy in communities across the country