Building a world-class tourism sector across the country
Tourism is a major employer, particularly in rural Ireland. Labour’s plan is to support the development of a truly world-class tourism industry.
Labour in Government has supported the tourism industry though initiatives like the Gathering, the targeted 9% VAT rate and the development of the Wild Atlantic Way and Ireland’s Ancient East.
Our plan for the next five years:
- Establish a national advisory group to oversee skills development within the tourism industry
- Introduce new hospitality and catering traineeships and apprenticeships
- Revitalise dormant hotel facilities in rural areas as Tourism Training Centres during the off-season
- Support the development of more community-led partnerships to create farm-walk landscapes
- Increase the number of EU LIFE projects for heritage-led regeneration and preservation of farmland, forestry and waterways across rural Ireland
- Put a comprehensive sports tourism policy at the heart of national sports policy