Building up a durable economy in every region of the country
As the economy continues to grow, it's vital we prioritise balanced regional development and the growth of our rural economy.
Labour in Government has led on the implementation of the Regional Action Plan for Jobs and €250 million in funding for LEADER programmes in rural communities.
Our plan for the next five years:
- Deliver a new regional strategy to allocate substantial funding to key growth centres
- Linking growth centres to their rural hinterlands to create corridors of economic and social activity throughout the country
- Re-introduce elected councils for large and medium sized towns
- Invest in regional skills forums which bring together employers and education providers
- Develop the Technological Universities to bring university-level, industry-relevant educational opportunities to each region
- Bring in a new GP rural scheme
- Introduce a social enterprise scheme to facilitate the reopening of key local town and village high street facilities such as pubs, shops and post offices