Hi I’m Nessa Cosgrove and I am a first-time candidate in the local elections in May. I will be running in the Sligo-Strandhill area.
I am standing because we need a new generation of people involved in local politics. A new voice to bring fresh ideas and energy to Sligo County Council.
I have been living in Cartron in Sligo town since 2003 with my husband Conor, we now have three children.
I have a master’s degree in Social Science (Youth and Community Work) from UCC and have been working as a Youth Liaison Worker with the Sligo Leitrim Home Youth Liaison Service since 2005. Through my work I am very much aware of the everyday problems people face. I have in- depth knowledge of local and national supports that are available to people and their communities. I have represented young people for over twenty years and I feel that I have an understanding of the issues and difficulties faced by Sligo’s young people.
I am a strong believer in social justice and equality of opportunity for all. I always work to ensure that people and community come first. I will do my best to ensure that developments are inclusive, sustainable and community led.
I look forward to meeting you over the coming months to hear your opinions as to how our community can be maintained and improved.
I love being involved my local community; I am Chairperson of Cartron Community Recreational Committee and am Treasurer ofSligo Family ResourceCentre. I am a Beaver Scout Leader in my area for a number of years.
I am an active member of SIPTU Sligo/ Leitrim Roscommon District Council and I was actively involved in the Together forYes Campaignhere in Sligo where the repealing of the 8th Amendment was strongly supported.
My priorities include:
- Promote and encourage job creation in Sligo, with particular emphasis on local start up companies.
- Prioritising the consistent and ongoing support and development of Voluntary and Community projects in Sligo
- Campaigning for the increase in statutory Mental Health Services for the people of Sligo, particularly young people
- Push for the development of ‘A Space’ in Sligo town where young people can freely socialise (both indoor and outdoor areas)
- Safeguard the ongoing building of affordable and social housing in a transparent and effective manner
- Ensure that all developments in Sligo are sustainable, inclusive and community led.
- Campaign for continued improvement in road and transport infrastructure
- Continued investment in all areas of the Arts which are already so vibrant within this community
- Develop a system where it is ensured that Sligo County Council is inclusive, transparent and answerable to the people of Sligo
Nessa CosgroveThe Labour Party
- Home Address:
- 305 Ard na Mara,
- Cartron Point,
- [email protected]